Worker’s Hand Crushed In Machinery

 

crush

A food seasoning manufacturer has been fined after an agency worker suffered serious hand injuries when his finger got caught in a machine.

Northampton Magistrates’ Court heard how the man, working at Symrise Ltd in Corby, was cleaning near the screw conveyor machine, when he tripped and his finger came into contact with the moving parts of the machine.

He suffered a partial amputation to his left hand following this incident.

Guarding

Investigating the incident, which happened on 13 September 2016, the Health and Safety Executive found the vacuum point, for cleaning this screw conveyor, did not have adequate guarding to prevent people coming into contact with this dangerous part of the machine.

Symrise Ltd of Fieldhouse Lane, Marlow was found guilty of breaching Section 11(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 and was fined £55,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,293.

Speaking after the hearing, Inspector Mark Austin, said: “An agency worker has suffered life changing injuries due to the company’s health and safety failures.

“An individual’s health and safety should not be made worse by the work they do.

“Duty holders have the responsibility to ensure all dangerous machinery has the appropriate level of guarding to enable safe operation and maintenance, including cleaning operations.”

 

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *